The really dangerous thing about electrical emergencies is that they usually happen very quickly, and if you don’t know the right way to handle them, they can be fatal. From faulty appliances, to wiring malfunctions and live wires becoming exposed, an electrical disaster can come in many shapes and sizes. And the effects on your home and family can vary greatly – from minimal damage, costly repairs or in the worst case, injury or even death.
If you experience an electrical emergency, call our 24hr emergency response service and we’ll be there as soon as we can to help. Sometimes though, you need to take action immediately. Here are our go-to tips for what to do (and what NOT to do) when you find yourself faced with the two most common electrical emergencies.


Electrical fires:

Faulty appliances, worn out plugs and old wiring can be a real danger in your home. You might notice warning signs, such as plugs that feel hot, scorch marks around your socket, or flickering lights. Sadly, there is often no warning at all before an electrical fire starts.

If you discover an electrical fire in your home, you should:


  • Call the fire brigade immediately, and if anyone has been injured call an ambulance.
  • If it’s safe to do so, turn off your power at the fuse box.
  • If you have an electrical fire extinguisher (and know how to use it) you can attempt to put the fire out. However, if the fire is large or if you don’t have an extinguisher, get everybody out of the house immediately.


  • NEVER use water on an electrical fire – water and electricity are a deadly combo, and you could make the situation ten times worse.
  • Call your local northern beaches electrician as soon as you can – we may be able to help you deal with your electrical emergency over the phone while we are on our way to you.

After an electrical fire it is very important that an electrical safety inspection is conducted for your home, so we can make sure that you never find yourself dealing with an electrical emergency again.


Electric shocks:

The severity of an electrical shock can range from pretty minor jolt (still scary!) to life threatening, causing burns, paralysis, a heart attack or even death. Here’s what to do if you or someone in your home suffers from an electrical shock:


  • Seek immediate medical assistance – call an ambulance if the injury is significant.
  • Call us right away so we can get to you quickly and help you handle the situation so there are no further incidents.
  • If it is safe to do so, turn off the power supply and unplug the offending appliance.
  • If someone has been shocked, check his or her pulse and heart rate. You can attempt to resuscitate the person if you are properly trained and as long as they are no longer in contact with the electrical source.


  • NEVER touch a person who is in contact with a power source or electrical wire – if a person is being shocked, they may be unable to relax their muscles which stops them from being able to let go of the offending wire or appliance. If you try to pull a person away while they are being shocked, you could be electrocuted through contact with them.
  • If you need to pull a person away from being shocked, use heavy-duty insulation gloves or something made of rubber, dry cloth or cured dry wood.
  • NEVER try to treat an electrical burn yourself. Electric shock burns are very different to other types of burns, and applying ointments or balms on these wounds can make the injury worse. If you or someone in your home has burns or blisters from a shock, cover them with dressings that will not stick to the wound and seek medical help.
  • NEVER approach fallen power lines. Call your local emergency electrician immediately, and try to stay away from them – especially if they are touching a metal fence or puddle of water.


We’d much prefer it if we never had to respond to electrical emergencies because we know how frightening, costly and dangerous they can be. But the reality is, we all rely on electricity so much and every now and again something might go wrong.


If you’re concerned about any warning signs you might be having, contact our team of experienced electricians. We can come to your home and conduct a full safety inspection, and help you prevent disaster. And of course, if you do find yourself dealing with an electrical emergency, we’re on standby to come to your rescue. Our emergency service is in operation 24hrs a day, seven days a week – and the safety of your home and family is our biggest concern.